Packed with protein, this Tex-Mex inspired breakfast casserole is perfect for keeping you full all morning long.
As a nutrition student, I know just how important it is to start your day off with a nourishing breakfast. However, I’m also a busy human. I work a full-time job, I have to study, and I try to have some time for fun. All of that doesn’t leave me a ton of time to make Instagram worthy smoothie bowls every morning. Cue my Tex-Mex breakfast casserole! Caitlin Shoemaker’s Vegan Breakfast Casserole inspired my interpretation. I use her base as the base for my recipe as well. I thought it would be amazing with some traditional Tex-Mex ingredients like black beans and taco spices!
This breakfast casserole is full of nutrition…
This casserole is ideal for breakfast because of its egg-y consistency and nutrient content! For example, the combination of tofu and chickpea flour packs a punch with about 15 grams of protein to help prevent blood sugar spikes. Adding in veggies is always tricky for me in the mornings. I added kale, corn, and peppers for Vitamins A, K, and C. Also, the nutritional yeast provides a healthy serving of B-vitamins. Above all, this breakfast will keep you full and nourished all morning long.
and it tastes DELICIOUS
I’m all about a big dose of nutrients in the morning, but I also want my breakfast to taste good. That’s why I snuck in some taco seasoning to the egg-y base and added some vegan cheese to the top! There’s nothing like an ooey-gooey cheese-y breakfast with a bit of spice to start the day with. Plus, we can’t forget about two of my favorite condiments: salsa and hot sauce. I can promise that everybody at work is going to be jealous. After pop my slice in the microwave to heat up, I throw on a dollop of salsa and a few splashes of Choula hot sauce before I chow down. It definitely makes me excited for breakfast every morning.
I’m excited for you to try out my interpretation of Caitlin’s breakfast. If you did, let me know! You can tag me on Instagram or even shoot me an email by using my contact form here! I can’t wait to see how it turned out for you!
Vegan Tex-Mex Breakfast Casserole
- 8×8 Pan
- 10 Oz Frozen Shredded Hashbrowns thawed
- 2 Packages Silken Tofu (16 oz packages)
- ⅔ Cup Nutritional Yeast
- ⅓ Cup Chickpea Flour
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1 Packet Taco Seasoning
- ½ Cup Kale chopped
- ¼ Cup Red Onion sliced
- ⅓ Cup Red Bell Pepper chopped
- ½ Cup Frozen roasted corn
- ½ Cup Black beans
- 1 Cup Vegan Cheddar Cheese Shreds
- 1 Cup Salsa
- Hot sauce optional
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Sautee frozen hashbrowns until lightly browned.
- In a blender, add silken tofu, nutritional yeast, chickpea flour, salt, and taco seasoning. Blend until smooth.
- In a greased 8×8 pan, add hashbrowns in an even layer.
- Add kale, red onion, red pepper, frozen corn, and black beans on top of hashbrowns.
- Pour the egg-y mixture over the veggies and tap the pan to release air bubbles.
- Bake for 40 minutes minutes, then remove from oven, cover with shredded cheese, and bake for an additioal 5 minutes.
- After a total of 45 minutes, remove casserole from oven and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Slice casserole and serve topped with salsa and hot sauce.
- If not serving immediately, refirdgerate for up to 7 days.